Archive for April, 2013
So it has been quite a 24 hours !
First of all last night it was announced Neutral Milk Hotel were to reform and play some shows. Amazingly many of you remembered I had promised that should such a thing ever happen I would do my best to bring them to Edinburgh / Scotland given they are responsible for our biggest ever selling album.
I was disappointed Jeff didn’t play up here the last time he was over but a friend of his did come in the shop and give me contact details so yes I will see what can be done.
I came in this morning to find a mailer waiting for me in the post and as you will all now know by now it was the Boards Of Canada 12″.
You can hear what it had to reveal here
Much more on its whereabouts and what we will be doing for the album release tomorrow.
Finally I did put a clue up on the image slider of the Avalanche shop a couple of days ago but I was surprised how many people picked up on it.
Avalanche will indeed be working with Cake Shop NYC on several projects starting off with a split single.
We will soon have a presence in New York and the Cake Shop in Edinburgh.
An official press release is to follow. I had to answer several calls about it today so given all the other news it seemed appropriate to mention it now given the email confirming our initial plans arrived late this afternoon. It goes without saying what an amazing partnership this will be and the benefits that will follow .
All will be available from our shop from midnight.
We are still OK for FRabbits 2x LP and 12″. 7″ has gone now. We also have the Admiral Fallow LP and Glasvegas 7″
Back in Factory Records 10″ and Tame Impala 12″
Things we have a few of
The Glove LP (3) – XX 12″ (2) – Simple Minds 12″ (2)- Wire LP (2) – King Creosote CD (3)
Things we have 1 or 2 of
Darren Hayman 10″ – Herman Dune 10″ – Deftones LP – Dazed and Confused LP – Marianne Faithfull LP – Django Django – Mississipi Sheiks LP – The Band “Last Waltz” 3 x LP – Half Japanese 4xLP box set – Nick Drake LP – Pulp 12″ – Bardo Pond
7″s -Donny Hathaway – Dawes – Dry The River – Songs of Nick Drake – Gibby Haynes – Josh Rouse – History of Apple Pie – Bob Dylan – House of Love – British Sea Power – Clarks pic disc – Edwyn Collins
Record Store Day
Record Label Code of Conduct
1. All RSD product must be notified to ERA if possible 4 weeks upfront of RSD.
2. RSD product must be exclusive in nature and only available through RSD stores, as notified to you by ERA. For the avoidance of doubt product which has previously been widely available the UK or another territory is not deemed to be exclusive.
3. RSD product should be manufactured in a reasonable quantity. Anything under 500 units may be deemed inadmissible to RSD unless there are valid grounds for inclusion.
4. RSD product must be of sufficiently appropriate quality to be considered for RSD. Proposed exclusive product must be authorised for inclusion in RSD by ERA’s nominated representatives. If they deem the product unsuitable it will not be authorised for inclusion
5. All product info and artwork to be provided to ERA in the attached format, otherwise this will lead to delays in inclusion on the website
6. Any stock left over after RSD must be first offered to RSD retailers
7. Stock may be offered to non RSD retailers only 7 days after the event ie the Saturday following RSD
8. No label may sell product on their own D2C platform until 4 weeks following RSD
9. Record labels are asked to copy ERA in on any PR in relation to RSD product or artists
On behalf of………………………………………………………………
A full shop again and this young lad had the best view of all.
We will open at 9.30am. As usual we will give out numbered tokens to those at the front of the queue. Again as usual there will be a limit of 6 of the more limited items per person. Customers have always been great turning up knowing what they want so we don’t operate lists especially this year with such a ridiculous number of releases. Disappointingly no lessons have been learned by the organisers and we will spend much of the day saying sorry that titles have run out. Sorry about that ! We have decent amounts of releases from Frightened Rabbit and Biffy Clyro but not so much of some other Scottish bands. We did our best !
Glasvegas will be playing in-store to promote their RSD single at 2.30pm and Admiral Fallow will follow at around 3.30pm again promoting the release of their latest album on vinyl for the first time. We would encourage people to actually buy more than just RSD stock especially given the vast array of vinyl we have. I’ve stocked up on lots of classic new vinyl as well as all the latest releases and of course there are many more racks of second hand vinyl with a great selection at £1.99 or 3 for £5.00. The dance 12″s are a bargain 10 for £10.
When I moan at the organisers I have to admit that Avalanche itself is of course involved in the organisation of RSD and our contribution this year was the poster campaign which of course as you can see above has been brilliantly conceived and executed ! A Brazilian TV programme will be recording our celebrations for their most popular music channel over there (8 million viewers) for a Record Store Day special and they will be back again to feature Avalanche and some of Edinburgh’s bands a little later for our own featured programme. If you need to recover the Bow Bar will be hosting a special RSD cask ale “Sid ‘n’ Nancy” 6.9% IPA from Revolutions Brewing.