1. The Twilight Sad – No One Can Ever Know
2. Meursault – Something for The Weakened
3. Godspeed You! Black Emperor – Allelujah Don’t Bend Ascend
4. Leonard Cohen – Old Ideas
5. Admiral Fallow – Tree Bursts In Snow
6. Olympic Swimmers – No Flags Will Fly
7. Randolph’s Leap – Introducing …..
8. Kevin MacNeil & Willie Campbell – Visible From Space
9. Paul Buchanan – Mid Air
10. Rob St John – Weald
11. The XX – Coexist
12. Jack White – Blunderbus
13. Cancel The Astronauts – Animal Love Match
14. Trapped Mice – Winter Sun
15. Unwinding Hours – Afterlives
16. Django Django – Django Django
17. Human Don’t Be Angry – Human Don’t Be Angry
18. Grizzly Bear – Shields
19. RM Hubbert – Thirteen Lost & Found
20. James Yorkston – I Was A Cat From A Book
21. Cat Power – Sun
22. Errors – Have Some Faith In Magic
23. Tango In The Attic – Sellotape
24. Vaccines – Come Of Age
25. Jo Mango – Murmuration
26. Errors – New Relics
27. Mogwai – A Wrenched Virile Lore
28. Dinosaur Jr – I Bet On Sky
29. PAWS – Cokefloat!
30. Flying Lotus – Until The Quiet Comes
So Twilight Sad held onto the number one spot. Delivery of more Meursault and Godspeed on the Saturday before Christmas meant we just had enough stock as the last Meursault CD was sold late on 31st. Quite a few visitors bought the top 2 simply because they were our best sellers. Godspeed caught up Leonard Cohen which of course has been out almost a year now.
Biggest gains were for Cancel The Astronauts and Trapped Mice who benefited from the many customers we get this time of year stocking up on local bands. I was surprised just how many people had seen the chart before coming to the shop particularly visitors. Apart from Unwinding Hours swapping places with Django Django everything else was as you were.
I’ve decided against a top 40 or indeed 50 as I don’t think anybody really needs to know the exact order for Sigur Ros, The Shins, Spiritualized, Tindersticks, Lambchop. Mark Lanegan etc. I will however extend the best selling back catalogue to a top 20 in the next day or so.
15 of the Top 20 and 21 of the Top 30 are Scottish artists. 3 of the Top 10 and 6 of the top 30 are releases we get directly from the bands or labels. With albums due this year from Frightened Rabbit, Withered Hand, There Will Be Fireworks, Broken Records, Star Wheel Press, Kid Canaveral, Pictish Trail, eagleowl, Biffy Clyro and Roddy Woomble (plus more I’m sure to have missed) 2013 should be a great year for Scottish music. From the shop’s viewpoint it may very well be our work is done and it is time to move on.